Wednesday, September 5, 2007

"I can't believe they said that!"

Having told my story so many times as of late, I recount the silly things doctors and nurses have said to me over this past year, thinking they provide a comedic effect to the telling. I realize, though, at the same time, it is a bit sad, recounting how our healthcare system is in a bit of a crises. As a result, I'd like to re-tell some of these anecdotes here:

"Gas Pain"- The doctor's explanation of the pain I was experiencing in my side that was growing more and more intense by the day, (which later turned out to be a massive tumor).

"My friend's horse had that!" - A nurse's comment on my Cushing's Syndrome while I was recovering, post-surgery.

"It's a good thing they invented one-piece bathing suits!" - A doctor's comment on the scar across my stomach.

"You need to exercise, you're getting tubby." - Same doctor, commenting on my post-surgery physique, said while poking the side of my belly.

While in the hospital, recovering, post-surgery, I was awakened earl one morning by my nurse. She wanted to show me how she had printed out pages of information from the internet regarding Cushing's Syndrome. Of course, I knew all about it, having had it for the past six months, but was also wondering why this nurse was awakening me at 4 in the morning while I had been so peacefully asleep. Sleep was hard to come by then, too, after such major surgery. This same nurse began to talk to me, innappriately I might add, about her shocking life story. And I fiegned as much interest as I could muster at the time.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

My favorites are the horse comment and the nurse who told you her life story. That is the absolute worse! It happened to me a lot with Phlebotamists (sp?). Actually, just a week ago I had one tell me all about her life in the ghetto... I think that it was a nice conversation considering she just stuck me in the arm.. lol

Gail said...

You would look just beautiful in a bikini...

Anonymous said...

Yeah, Dr. 'Gas Pain' was actually Dr. Ass Pain...needs to be shut down.

You forgot to mention the stupid valet...even though he said nothing... but it's right up there with the insensitivity you mentioned.

In spite of all the above, however humorous, there have been MANY more wonderful experiences/people encountered, like last week at the clinic...prefer to focus on those WONDERFUL, caring people.

Remember the day we did paintings together? That was great!

Anonymous said...

hey wendy,
i am not at myspace anymore, they deleted me, but i wanted to let you know i am still off readng about you and thinking about you.

and yeah to stupid dr's and the like, sometimes they do come up with doozies. I had a nurse argue with me after 26 hours of natural labor and natural childbirth that she was more tired then I. Although your mom is right their have been so many more good experiences. Sometimes it is so easy to just look at the bad, and honestly it is comical. Everyone needs to laugh.

oh and if you do want to contact me Meredith still has her myspace, you could message her and she can give you my e-mail.
Courtney